Thursday, June 29, 2006

Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Anime



I found this purely on a lark by typing in "Mario Anime" into the YouTube search bar. Surprise!

This is part of a 60 minute mini-movie made back in 1986. It's 20th anniversary is on the 20th of July but, for some reason, the movie is such a rarity that copies of the laserdisc fetch up to $180 dollars on Japanese eBay. And, of course, Nintendo never bothered to let us Americans take a look. Why they did that (and saddled us with the inferior Super Mario Super Show) is beyond me. Not that I didn't like Lou Albaino but that cartoon just doesn't work after nearly 20 years.

I'm going to try and find a torrent for the whole movie but I doubt it's available. However, I'm sure that someone will upload the whole thing onto the net and that some brave team of fan translators will make a fan sub.

Or maybe Nintendo will step ahead and give us a legal re-release so that they can make some money.

No comments: